First year full-time degree seeking students are enrolled in 12-18 credits in a semester. Students take courses in the major (81 credits) and intellectual foundation courses (33-39 credits). Transfer students who have completed coursework in interior design at a previous college must schedule a portfolio review with the department chairperson. At this review, based on the projects submitted, the chairperson determines which courses will receive transfer credit and where in the Buffalo State Interior Design Program transfer students will begin the course sequence. Interior Design portfolios are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and students graduate within 3-4 years.
The following data was collected using institutional records and alumni contact maintained by the office of alumni affairs, faculty in the department, and via personal communication and LinkedIn. Constant update of the data is recorded at the department level and this data was last updated in January 2019.
62% of students admitted in the fall of 2017 returned in the fall of 2018, putting attrition at 38%.
62.5% of students admitted in the fall of 2016 returned in the fall of 2017, putting attrition at 38%.
56.3% of students admitted in the fall of 2015 returned in the fall of 2016, putting attrition at 43.7%.
Of the students graduating in 2018, 45% graduated in 4 years.
Of the students graduating in 2017, 50% graduated in 4 years.
Of the students graduating in 2016, 47.1% graduated in 4 years.
None of the students who graduated in 2018 applied for graduate school.
16.67% of students who graduated in 2017 applied for graduate school, and 100% of these applicants were accepted.
44.44% of students who graduated in 2016 applied for graduate school, and 100% of these applicants were accepted.
50% of students who graduated in 2018 are employed in interior design or a related profession. Data was available only on 50% of the class.
66.67% of students who graduated in 2017 are employed in interior design or a related profession. 16.67% are enrolled in graduate programs.
55.55% of students who graduated in 2016 are employed in interior design or a related profession. The other 44.44% are enrolled in graduate programs.
Enrollment Data First-time New Transfer
Applications: 117 22
Students Admitted: 65 15
% Admitted: 55.6 68.2
Students Enrolled: 16 3
% Enrolled: 24.6 20.0
Enrollment Status Count
Residency Status Count
New York State 56
New Jersey 0
Mid-Atlantic (including NY and NJ) 56
New England 0
Number of States Represented: 2
Number of Countries Represented: 1
Number of Full-Time Faculty: 3
Number of Part-Time Faculty: 1
Number of Non-Instructional Staff: 2
Average class size: 21.7
Student to faculty ratio: 12:1
American Indian or Alaskan 1
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0
Non-Resident Aliens 1
Back to Top